Sunday, July 12, 2009

I learn something new every day!

Last night, Jamie and I headed over to our fave BBQ place, "Jerry's", for dinner with some friends. Afterwards we decided to head over to a rooftop bar that was nearby. While hanging out we started talking about other bars in the area and that's when the conversation took an interesting turn.

All around Singapore I've seen signs that say "KTV". This is usually associated with a bar that is at or near a hotel (at least this has been my observation). There is even one up the road from our place and Jamie and I have both mentioned once or twice that we should try it out since it is so close. I really just assumed they were themed bars but never really thought twice about them.

Boy was I wrong!! I was correct in thinking that is was some sort of themed bar. As it turns out, "KTV" usually means it's a karaoke bar, but that's not all. It's also a bar where you can pay ladies to be your "friend for the evening". When you get there, you order a bottle of whatever you plan on drinking for the night. Soon after a line of women parade in and you pick the one you like the best. My understanding is that groping is allowed, but it stops there unless you get her to leave with you. At the end of the night (or however long you make it) you get a bill and tip the lady. You can also negotiate a rate for these women to go home with you, or head over to a room at the hotel. Not at all the type of "sports" I was thinking about!

Lucky for me, someone told us about this before I found out the hard way! It was just a matter of time before we got board one night and decided to head up the road for a drink or two. What a story that would have been! Only in Asia would I have to second guess the type of bar I am going into! At least in the states they are clearly marked!

No comments: