Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Another Week

I am sad to say that I have survived another week of work,and not much has changed. I have learned a little, gotten aggravated a lot, and still have a long way to go. Hopefully it will get better with time! One of the things I have found amusing about working here is the different names for stuff. I would like to introduce you to some "Singaporean Medical Terminology"

Cot - baby crib
Jab - a shot
Drip - IV fluids
Passing away - Urinating
The Stick - an IV
The Sting - a UTI
The Chop - a stamp (here we have stamps with our names so we don't have to sign everything, you just stamp it and put your initials)

I have met some people at work who have been nice enough to take me out to lunch a few times to some of the "local joints". It's easier to try new things when you have people around who can tell you what it is! I think they have made it a goal to take me around to try all of the different types of local food around here. So far everything has been pretty good. I haven't tried anything crazy, but I have ventured out a little bit!

Jamie on the other hand went wild with some clients the other day and had the fish head curry! I know! Can you believe it? He said it was actually pretty good! Still don't think I'm there yet. Today at work I had a hospital orientation class to attend and they provided lunch. One of the items I had was fried rice. It was really good, until I noticed some bright blue dots in it. I began to dig around and found that the dots were eyes!! Yes, eye balls!! There were tiny fish cooked in with my rice. The more I explored, the more I found and suddenly I had little fish bodies with their little eye balls staring at me. Needless to say I felt sick for the rest of the afternoon. Jamie just laughed and gave me some advice.

"If it's good, don't ask what's in it and don't look to hard at it. Just eat it and relax".

Again, I'm just not quite there yet!

No comments: