Thursday, January 28, 2010

Australia Day 2010

This past Tuesday was Australia Day. It's kinda like our 4th of July, where people BBQ, go to the beach, watch fireworks and just hang out. We started the day putting our new BBQ grill together (as our US one will not work over here) and then the idea was to proceed to South Perth to have lunch and take a walk along the river. I must tell you now that I have only been to South Perth one time, and that was to drive around and find the eating areas, so I only knew how to get to the cafe street one way. This did not help us out on Tuesday. The only way I knew to get there was closed because of the fireworks for that night.

We eventually got to a street that we thought would get us close and parked the car. I will make this a short story and tell you that it was a very, very long walk to the restaurants and Jamie and I were already starving before we parked! We could smell food, but couldn't find it anywhere! To make matters worse, we really had no clue how close or how far away this area of the street was that I was looking for. I didn't even know the name of it, just that it was close to the water! This walk was even more shitty due to the fact that I am experiencing as much swelling right now as the freakin' Michelin Man (I have the photos below to prove it!!) and it was 90 degrees outside.

In the end we eventually found the street in question and found a nice little cafe where we were able to enjoy a great lunch. Afterwards Jamie got a snow cone (or what he referred to as the tasteless cup of ice), I got a milk shake (what I referred to as slightly thickened chocolate milk) and we headed down to the river for the walk back to the car. I must say, the walk back was much better than the walk there! It was a clear day, and the view of the city was beautiful! Jamie and I took some photos, but unfortunately we didn't figure out how to use the timer until late in our walk so we were only able to take 1 photo of us together.

Photo Jamie took of two guys and their cooler. The guy you see bending over was actually riding it seconds before this photo was taken but got nervous when it started going pretty fast. The other two guys are in their "Harry Potter outfits" as Jamie called them. Believe it or not, there were actually quite a few people, of all ages wearing this get-up.


Me, hanging out at the cafe. Look how fat my face looks!! I look like if you tried to squeeze me I would pop! That's about how I feel too!!

Perth skyline over the Swan River, what a gorgeous city!!

Me, with half of the city behind me and Jamie with all of the city behind him. Man I know how to take a great photo!! Not sure what Jamie was doing when he took mine!!

Jamie and I on the river... don't we look cute!!

We had already decided that we would hang out at the house that night, as we didn't want to fight the crowds that would be there to watch the fireworks. So, we stayed home and cooked hamburgers on our new grill. One of the nice things about where we live is that it's pretty close to the city. We could actually see the fireworks from our house. Later that night while the fireworks were going off we took the girls on a walk and it worked out great. They got their walk and Jamie and I got to enjoy the fireworks.

Other than that it's life as usual. I had an appointment last Tuesday but no luck on any photos or videos this time as she was in the breech position and we weren't able to take any good ones. I go back on the 9th of Feb so maybe better luck then. I'm still feeling pretty good, no cravings, no crazy mood swings, just lots of swelling. My hands have been swollen since right before Christmas but the swelling in my face and feet at that time came and went. Since about 2 or so weeks ago the swelling is everywhere and doesn't go away! I am drinking tons of water and take the girls on a 1-1.5 mile walk everyday (well, for the most part it's everyday although I have missed a few) and it doesn't seem to be helping. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse or I really may pop... seriously!!
Jamie has more business trips over the next couple weeks and actually leaves tomorrow for Melbourne to watch the Australian Open men's and women's finals. I know, rough job, right?? From there he heads up to Brisbane until Thursday and then heads back home. Then, the following week he's here for our appointment and then he's off to Adelaide for a few days.
I'm going to try to get Kylies room painted while he's gone but some of it may have to wait until he returns, either way I'll post pics when were done!!

No comments: