Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day and Mr. Wonderful

You've heard me say it and I'm sure I've posted it on this blog as well, but I feel it's important to start this posting off by saying - My husband hates Valentine's Day! As a refresher if you need it, his thoughts are that "it's a hallmark holiday designed to make people spend money" and "if he wants to buy me flowers or jewelry he will do it on a day he chooses, not some day they tell him to". With that being said we usually get each other something, whether it is a card with candy, flowers, etc but it's not usually anything big.

This year I got him a card with a bag of Starburst (we've had a hard time finding them over here so I thought he would be excited). I also decided to do something different and I made reservations for breakfast at this nice little restaurant on the Swan River. It wasn't supposed to be anything fancy; I just thought it would be something nice and a good reason to spend $60 on breakfast. What I got on the other hand was something that I would have never expected, probably not in a million years!

Saturday started off as a normal morning. We got up had breakfast and talked about what we were going to do for the day. I went to take a shower and when I walked back into the kitchen there on the counter was a vase with yellow roses (my favorite) and a card that said "Soon to be Mom". Jamie was outside reading on the patio so I joined him out there to open my card. I really thought that was going to be it but when I opened the card there were two other items in there -
1) Dinner reservations for a restaurant that has the best views in town (I've wanted to try)
And
2) A spa package for a 1 hour pregnancy massage as well as a spa manicure and pedicure.


I couldn't believe it!! I was so excited and surprised I didn't know what to say! For some of you this maybe a normal Valentine's Day gift, but for me it was really special. It's just not a day we usually buy gifts for or go to fancy dinners. His reason for doing it this year? He said it was because he knew I wouldn't be expecting it and that he thought I deserved it, so he wanted to surprise me!! How sweet!! Surprise me he did, but what surprised me the most is that he actually thought to make sure that the massage was especially for a pregnant woman and that they were actually trained to do it. How wonderful is my husband?!


The day turned out great. We started with breakfast at Bluewater Grill which was good, but the views made it better and ended with an amazing dinner at The Boatshed Restaurant in South Perth. Everything about it was perfect. The food was wonderful, the views were amazing (our reservations were around sunset) and the service was the best we've had since being in Perth. They had a special Valentine's day menu and for a set price per person and you got champagne or beer, a tasting plate appetizer (with oysters, prawns and a few other items), your choice of an entree (King Snapper dish, Beef Fillet dish or Chicken Breast dish) and a Belgian chocolate fondue for two (with assorted candies, cookies and fruits for dipping). The appetizer and dessert were special items for the day, but all of the entree items are on their regular menu just prepared a little bit different than normal. It was by far the best dinner we've had in a long time! So, thank you to my wonderful husband for a surprisingly great day!! My spa appointment is on Wednesday and I can't wait!
Below are some photos from our day!


My flowers and card


View from our table at breakfast


Me and then my friend who decided to join us (he actually joined Jamie and ate from my plate when I got up)


The Boadshed Restaurant
View of city from outside restaurant when we arrived


View of city from our table, about halfway through dinner


Jamie and I at the restaurant after dinner

No comments: