Monday, March 19, 2012

Mommy and Kylie getaway

Two weeks ago Kylie and I had our first girl’s trip!!! We flew down to Sydney and visited with a friend and her daughter (who is about 2 months younger than Kylie). We had a blast and I’m so looking forward to making this a yearly thing.

One of the reasons we went when we did was so I didn’t have to pay for Kylie’s ticket. Unlike the US, Australia does not offer children’s airline fares. It’s either full price or free for under 2’s. I thought it would be nice to take one last trip before having to take on that extra fare and why not make it a girls trip?

It was just a short trip (3 days) but we had lots of fun catching up with Michelle and Matilda-Rose. We hung out at the park, went to Darling Harbour and the Sydney Aquarium. I wasn’t sure if Kylie would be old enough to really be ‘into’ the aquarium but she *loved* it. The first thing she said when she saw the first exhibit was “FISHIES!” and didn’t stop until we left. She’d run around, look at all the stuff in the area and then grab my hand and say “okay more” while pulling me to move on. I’m so glad she enjoyed it. The girls played really good together as well and they were so cute!! With the exception of getting home it was a great first girl’s trip!

Of course, any time the McMillan’s travel there is a problem. We were a 30 minute drive from the airport and we had a 4:20pm flight home. We left Shell’s house at 2:35, plenty of time to get to the airport…so we thought! Of course as we approach the area where we are supposed to get onto the motorway it’s completely blocked off. Not understanding what’s going on, Shell calls Trevor (her partner) and tries to get some info from him. Turns out that earlier that morning there was an accident and 2 women were killed. The motorway was completely shut down. Of course, there was only one way to get back on the motorway further up and it was through town. Not to mention that everyone else was going that way as well! It ended up taking us 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to the airport! When I got to the check-in counter I was told that the flight had closed for check-in 6 minutes before I got there! In the end I was able to get on a flight that was leaving an hour later and they were nice enough not to charge me for it but how annoying!! Just once I would like a trip to go off 100% without any hiccups, please!?!

Here are a few photos from out trip!!

Kylie's first train ride.  Unfortunately this was the best photo we could get : (

Sydney Aquarium

She loved the 'interactive' area!

One of my favorite photos from our trip!

Darling Harbour 

People watching and hanging out at the park.

So exhausted they couldn't even make it onto the train before passing out!

Hanging out

Park Time!

Since we’ve been back Kylie has started daycare. The drop offs didn’t go so well but I was assured that once she got over it she was completely over it. They said she went on to have a wonderful day both days and that she played well and had a good time. They also wrote out a summary of her day and gave me some photos when I picked her up, which was nice. I so hope she really did have a good day, because I can’t tell you the guilt I felt leaving her while she was screaming for me! I couldn’t even bring myself to leave the building until I saw her playing. The first morning it took about 10 minutes, 5 of those screaming and crying. She then stood against the wall and slowly moved closer to the play area before she took the plunge. Day two went a bit quicker, only needing about 5 minutes total to get out there and start running around. I know it will get better but I am so dreading it this week! I actually get butterflies just thinking about it! While she was in daycare I went into the city and had lunch with Jamie and we tried out this American style BBQ place which ended up being pretty good! This was the first time Jamie and I have had any alone time since we were home in September and it was much needed!! On day two I had a spa day, which was much needed as well!

It's a good thing I had that day of relaxation because as predicted Kylie is now sick.  She hasn't slept through the night since Thursday, where she woke up at 7:30pm, 9:00pm, 12:30am, 3:00am and 5:00am.  I swear she didn't wake up this much as a newborn!!  It hasn't been that bad every night, but when you're not used to getting up even once just throws off your entire night!  She woke with a fever again this morning but seemed to be getting better as the day went on.  Hopefully tomorrow is fever free otherwise we'll be missing a day or two this week (and she's only there for 2 days).  I hate to keep her out since it's only her second week, but I know if I send her in she'll just get worse.  Not too mention the fact that you don't get sick days over here, so either way I pay full price for it.  I guess we’ll just sit back and see what the week brings : )



No comments: